We are in the middle of a very busy summer. We are about halfway to autumn, so I figured it was a good time for an update on everything that is occupying my time.
- 4th of July weekend was a whirlwind. We took our 4 year old niece to the zoo for the day. She has more energy than any other kid I’ve ever met. We stayed at the zoo from open until almost close. That afternoon we picked up a huge pan of fried chicken and went to fireworks with Jared’s whole family (all 6 kids and their families). Traditionally we celebrate 2 birthdays at fireworks every year (including mine), and this year we added one more due to the birth of our nephew last summer. The next day we had another birthday barbeque to attend. By the end of the weekend we were passed out in bed in front of the fan.
- My birthday was lovely. Jared took me to dinner, but we ended up skipping the movie since I had a little migraine forming between my eyes. I went to bed early. Jared bought me a new gaming mouse to replace the one I wore out and a white jelly roll for a quilt I’ve been planning. I treated myself to my first watch (this classic beauty from Marc by Marc Jacobs). From family I received a generous amount of gift cards for the local craft store, some adorable bookends, nail polish and a dress I’ve had my eye on.
- Our garden is flourishing. It may be our best garden year yet. Our tomato plants have exploded. We started getting ripe tomatoes this week. Soon we will have more than we can eat. Our herbs are also completely out of control. I can’t use them fast enough. I’m going to have to start cutting and drying or freezing soon. Our peas are about done, but were delicious while the lasted. I froze one bag to save for a later stir-fry. We might get our first bean harvest tonight. The new trellis we built is amazing. I’m so pleased with the design. I’m going to have to put together a DIY post next spring. The one thing I’m regretting not planting is onions. It totally slipped my mind and I’ve really missed having them on hand.
- We picked up this notebook to start keeping a thorough record of our gardening ever season. I’ve recorded the brands and types of seeds we planted this season as well as planting dates, added nutrients and other important details. Every year we will reference it, learn from it and add to it.
- The wedding shower I’ve been planning is this Sunday! I have a busy weekend ahead of me, mostly shopping and cooking. I’ve never cooked for this many people. I have a lot of help, but I still have to make multiple dishes, including the largest batch of chicken salad I’ve ever made. Wish me luck!
- My flight to Portland is booked. On the 5th I’ll be heading out to spend 10 days with my family on the west coast. I’m counting down the days. I can’t wait to see my mom and spend a few days at the coast drinking Mexican Coca Cola on the deck and watching Netflix. My brother and I will have to track down the best nachos in Portland (as is tradition) and do something touristy. And I will of course have to spend a day shopping at Nordstrom with my grandma.
- I’ve been shampoo and conditioner free for over a month. It seems to be going well. I don’t miss the suds of shampoo yet and my hair looks light, shiny and soft. I’ve added some oil to my after-shower routine to keep the ends from drying out and I’m loving playing with essential oils to add a little fragrance to my hair. I’ve also given up face wash and I’m trying the Raw Honey challenge with Crunchy Betty.
I hope your summer is going well! Wishing you all beautiful weather and plenty of adventures (or plenty of time relaxing if that’s more your thing). I’ll be popping in with new collections, covets and content next week!