It’s almost crunch time! And unless you want to end up in whatever is left at the bottom of the bins at your local big box store (probably a shotty version of Miley Cyrus’ VMA look) you are going to need to get creative.
If you are going to spend money on a costume, I am a huge fan of buying things you can wear outside of Halloween parties. I’ve compiled a few ideas for costumes that can come together partially from what is in your closet, or comprised of pieces you can re-style and wear year-round.
I did this one last year! This dress is perfect for sleuthing around an abandoned house in search of the source of mysterious voices. And it can easily transition to a work outfit once you strip away the knee socks and magnifying glass. For bonus points add a vintage (or reproduction) leather messenger bag to carry your detective tools and any artifacts you recover on your investigation.
- Work to Play Dress in Eggplant from Modcloth / $54.99
- Fine-Knit Cardigan in Black from H&M / $12.95
- Fine Knit Knee Socks in White from Nordstrom / $8.50
- Vintage Look Flashlight from Amazon / $24.49
- Rosewood Handle Magnifying Glass from Amazon / $4.99
- Oxford Pumps in Tan from Amazon / $28.90
Maybe this is a little last year, but it’s such an iconic look from Mad Men that it won’t soon be forgotten. For something a little sexier (but still classy and smart) try on Megan Draper’s look from the famous Zou Bisou Bisou scene. Add a fierce cat-eye and a wig (or try a faux bob if you are a brunette) to complete the costume.
- Open Mic Songstress Dress from Modcloth / $89.99
- Rhinestone Bracelets from Target / $10.39
- Bayville Platform Loafers from Amazon / $89.95
- Crystal Cocktail Ring from Amazon / $12.99
- Handheld Microphone from Amazon / $7.74
- Seamless Fishnet Tights from Amazon / $19.99
For something that is a little softer, dress yourself an antique porcelain doll in a lacy baby-doll frock. Tights could add some coverage from cold autumn air if necessary. I would add a heavy bottom lash and a more dollish lip shape to this make-up look to make it even more doll-like. You could take it creepy too by adding a crack or two to your porcelain face and rip some holes in the tights.
- Sunlit Sweetness Dress from Modcloth / $89.99
- Porcelain Doll Makeup Tutorial from Doe Deere Blogazine
- 4-Pack of Fashion False Eyelashes from Amazon / $12.36
- Patent Mary Jane Pumps from Amazon / $24.69
- Big White Hair Bow from Amazon / $14.55
- Wheatley Teddy Bear from Amazon / $19.99
Have you settled on a Halloween costume? Have you ever had to pull something together quickly for a party? Please share your favorite quick costume ideas in the comments!
Graphic is original to Lost & Fawned. Feel free to share, pin and post, but please make sure you link back to this post so people can get the accompanying information and links. Thanks a million!