If you follow me on Instagram, you might have noticed a lot of vintage cookware popping up in the last year. I am a collector of many things (note I said “collector”, not “hoarder”), and one of those things is vintage Pyrex. Like most Pyrex collectors, I have a favorite design that I focus on. My pattern in called Early American, but I also collect metallic promotional pieces. That may sound like giberish to most of you, but to a fellow collector it says a lot.
Vintage Pyrex is an American classic (though there are Australian, Canadian and British counterparts). The designs are iconic. From Butterprint to Spring Blossom, there is a design for everyone. The pieces are decorative and usableat the same time, a perfect balance of form and function. Pyrex collecting has been really gaining momentum in the last few years. New books have been published, local trading groups are popping up, and the market for vintage pieces has exploded on etsy, ebay and in local antique malls.
If you have a friend that has caught the Pyrex bug and you are considering gifting them a piece of Pyrex, it’s best to ask what they have had their eye on. Do some research and shop around to find one in good condition at a reasonable price. Otherwise, there has been tons of art, tea towels and other crafted items springing up online that would make a collector smile.
- Fridgie Tea Towel by Fresh Pastry Stand / $10.00
- Friendship 045 Casserole from Midge & Manny’s / $50.00
- Pyrex Passion: A Comprehensive Guide to Decorated Vintage Pyrex by Michael D. Barber / $49.99
- Vintage Pyrex Vegetable Soup Fabric from Spoonflower / $17.50+ per yard
- Butterprint Mug from Thrifting Fuel on Society 6 / $15.00
- Nesting Mixing Bowls from Rush Creek Vintage / $125.00
- Snowflake Divided Dish from The Heirloom Shoppe / $28.00
- 2015 Pyrex Calender by Pocono Modern / $25.00
- Custom Jewelry from your Broken Pyrex by The Broken Plate / $40.00
- “Primary Pyrex Stack” Print by P.MaGeebs on Society 6 / $17.68+
- Pyrex Carafe with Original Box from Multistreamz / $17.00
- Two Yellow Gooseberry 042’s from VintageKindofGirl / $22.00