If you are going off to college, going back to school or just getting ready for fall, it’s time to start thinking about flipping your wardrobe to transition into cooler weather. I’m a budget shopper, so versatility is key for me when I shop. American Eagle Outfitters is a great place to look for classic staple pieces that are wallet friendly. A lot of my friends swear by their jeans, especially the Denim X collection for it’s comfort and durability.
I’ve put together a list of 12 perfect pieces to mix, layer and match into tons of outfits. Add a few pairs of shoes (a high boot, an ankle boot and a flat) and some light accessories and you’ll be ready for pumpkin patches, PTA and running to class. I coordinated these colors to work as a capsule wardrobe, but there are tons of other options if you prefer a different palette.
- Striped Shawl Cardigan – $59.95 / I love this piece. I’d wear it over everything from tees to dresses. It’s cozy and adds a little texture and pattern to any outfit.
- Solid Button Down in Blue – $39.95 / Wear this over a tee, under a sweater or on it’s own. It’s a great piece that you can get a lot of use out of.
- Denim Shirt Dress – $59.95 / Throw on your leggings and a pair of heavy boots, or layer it under your cardigan with some tights and flats.
- Long Sleeve Graphic Tee – $24.95 / I’m not usually a fan of graphic tees, but this is super clever and the script makes it appropriate for all ages.
- Oversize Crew Sweatshirt in Gray – $44.95 / Easy to wear over leggings for a quick trip to the store or running the kids to soccer practice.
- Sateen X Jeggings in Vintage Khaki – $49.95 / Jeans are great, but sometimes you need to mix it up. Great fit with a hint of sheen for texture.
- Sold Crew Sweater in Burgundy – $39.95 / Layer this under a jacket or over your solid button down to dress up or down. Burgundy is a flattering color on lots of complexions.
- Hi-Rise Legging in Black – $11.96 / A must have in your dresser. I love the higher rise, and you can’t go wrong with black. I only wear leggins under dresses and oversize sweaters.
- Light Swing Jacket in Olive – $89.95 / A field jacket is perfect for fall, and olive easily mixes with so many things. This is a great jacket to have on hand for chillier autumn days.
- Denim X Jegging in Dark Wash – $49.95 / I always go for a darker wash. I find it to be both flattering and classy. These are nice and narrow, so they are easy to wear under boots.
- Burnout Favorite T-Shirt in Black – $19.95 / I like this twist on a classic tee. Wear under a cardigan or on it’s own with a pair of jeans and ankle boots.
- Favorite V-Neck T-Shirt in White – $17.95 / A classic v-neck tee in white is a must in any season.