I’m hitting the trail next weekend. We were supposed to go this weekend, but had to make the call to postpone because of thunderstorms. I am keeping a close eye on the weather in Allegheny. Cold I can deal with, but wet is no good.
A lot of people cringe at the idea of sleeping in a tent this time of year, but as long as you are prepared with the right layers and sleeping bag (and maybe another warm body… or 3 in my case), it’s not too bad. Cold nights are worth it to see the trees in full color, and chilly mornings by the campfire with cocoa or tea is pretty much the best feeling in the world.
Sierra Trading Post is one of my favorite places to get gear. It’s always discounted, shipping is reasonable and they are always running deals (check the banner at the top of the page for current promo codes). Here are some of my picks for fall weather hiking, camping and backpacking…
- Mountain Hardwear Pandra Ponte Pullover /
- SmartWool Ski Town Beanie Hat /
- Kelty 0° Cosmic Sleeping Bag /
- Columbia Sportswear Weekday Waffle Shirt /
- Icebreaker Hike+ Medium Cushion Wool Socks /
- Keen Haven CNX Trail Shoes /
- Columbia Sportswear Silver Ridge Pants /
- Columbia Sportswear Sleet for Street Vest /
- Avalanche Wear Mogul Fleece Leggings /