Monthly Archives: November 2010
Hi! I’m Faith, designer and creator behind OrdinaryMommy. When I’m not furiously stitching up new accessories, I spend my time being mommy to my three sweet children and hanging out with my husband, who is a full foot taller than me. He’s into outdoorsy and old-world things (and food), and most of the items on this list were carefully chosen based on things I knew he would love. Lindsey and I will be thrilled if this gift guide makes your shopping a wee bit easier this holiday season, so please let us know if you find a fun gift idea here!
- Hand Stitched Leather iPhone / iTouch Case from Office of Minor Details – $40 : Smooth and durable leather is perfect for a man on the go, an excellent gift choice for the hard working businessman; pretty enough that you may want one too. Bonus: it ships free to any destination!
- Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Bacon Cups from New England Candy Co. – $12.99 : My husband loves chocolate. He also reveres bacon above all other food. I’m pretty sure he would cry tears of joy if he found these in his Christmas stocking.
- The Grill Guru Gourmet BBQ Blend from Purpose Design – $16 : If your Dad or Hubs spends hours around the grill in the summer (and even winter) and he loves good food, he’ll be thrilled with this selection of dry rubs that will make his ribs the undisputed best on the block (and possibly the entire state).
- Big Fat Black and White Tweed Cowl Scarf from Pip Robins – $25 : Even the guys need to keep warm. This is a great pick for the style conscious man in your life.
- Amber Striped Silk Tie from Rabbit Stop – $17.95 : What men’s gift guide would be complete without a necktie? The selection from rabbitstop is extensive, and any tie from their shop is sure to impress. Perfect for a guy who is interviewing for jobs, or who has to wear a tie to work everyday.
- Screen Printed Bicycle Pint Glasses from Vital – $31 : These amazing drinking glasses are an excellent gift for the man who loves to have the guys over to watch football or play cards. A fun and classy addition to the (coffee) table or a man cave.
- IPhone/IPod Docking Station from Wood Tec – $83 : This beautiful piece of cedar will compliment any décor. And because it looks so snazzy, the phone will always be in its place and fully charged. No more dead phones lying around the house!
- Scrimshaw Ivory Buck Pocket Knife from Scrimshaw – $39.95 : This fancy pocketknife is a practical gift for any man on your list. Since he may want to use this fantastic knife every chance he gets that first day, be sure to tell him that the guests at Christmas dinner may not appreciate him carving the roast beast with his new toy. Pair this knife with some fun Band-Aids for a little something extra.
- Black & Gold Guitar Strap from Boneca Linda – $40 : Whether a pro, or just a beginner, any guitar player will light up when they open this gift. The strap is adjustable, and adaptable to an electric or acoustic guitar. Fun choice for a brother, boyfriend, son, husband, or father!
- Personalized Organic Wooden Car from Little Sapling Toys : Can’t forget the little guys! This awesome car is especially perfect for a little man between the ages of 2 and 4 years old. A CAR?! With HIS name on it?! Doesn’t get much better.
Thank you so much for sharing Faith! Stay tuned for more gorgeous gift guides coming soon!
As most of you know, this past weekend was the official kick-off of the holiday shopping season. This year I am pleased to play host to a handful of my favorite bloggers. I wanted to give you some guides from different voices. Every list is different. Some will focus on specific people on your list (men, the organic gardener, etc.) and some are just beautiful lists of wonderful things. Hopefully you’ll find them helpful as you start your shopping!
First up is Megan! Megan is the creative force behind Lilac Saloon. Formally studying fashion design, she is always posting stunning inspiration and creating beautiful things for her shop (including her amazing Wall Flowers).
Her list is chock-full of lovely things for all of your loved ones. All are handmade (with the exception of #10, which is for your favorite crafter) and all of them are $85 and under (most are under $50).
- Eco Friendly Vegan Fabric Flats by Extraseed – $38 : I love the geometric pattern and the simple design of these adorable flats by extraseed on Etsy. I’d love them for myself or to give to my little sisters!
- Recycled Felt French Press Cozy by Remade Shop -$29 : I use my french press every day. I think wrapping it in warm wool would help keep my fresh coffee warmer, longer! Also, it’s cute. This would be a great gift for my fellow coffee drinking friends – especially the newlyweds!
- Geometric Bib Necklace by Laura Lombardi Jewelry – $85 : I adore lots of chains and unique shapes in my jewelry and Laura Lombardi Jewelry does a great job of impressing me! This would be a beautiful gift for a best friend who deserves
something extra special.
- “I Am Loved” Art Print by Stephanie Ryan Art – $20 : Beautiful and encouraging, this art print is a gift that comes straight from the heart. It would look amazing in an ornate all white frame!
- Screen Printed Birch Log Pillow by my imaginary boyfriend – $50 : I love these so much! Anyone with a more rustic design sense would totally appreciate these as a gift. They easily add a touch of fun to nature inspired decor. She also offers a “make your own” kit for these pillows in her shop for $27!
- “You Are My Sunshine” 13×19 Art Print by The Wheatfield – $22 : I’d love to give this as a gift to a little girl for her bedroom wall. It’s happy, pretty and a sweet reminder that she is always loved!
- Peppermint Marshmallows by Calabasas Candy Co – $7.50 : These sound so amazing to dunk into big mugs of hot cocoa when the snow starts to fall! I’m pretty sure this is a perfect gift for anyone and everyone.
- Bear Coin Purse by One Little Red Fox – $38 : Hehehee so cute!! I love this little coin purse (and the many other cute things in this shop!) for it’s playful personality and use of print and color.
- Goldfish tights by gal stern – $38 : I love, want and need these amazing handprinted tights by Tel Aviv textile designer Gal Stern. They’re perfect!
- Cotton Fabric Wildflower Deco Tape from Wonderland Room – $6.40 : These floral tapes are so pretty and are a fun way to add some interest to your gift wrapping or to actually give as a gift! I’d love to give them as a little extra addition to a gift I’m already giving to creative and crafty friends.
Thank you so much again to Megan of Lilac Saloon! Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more beautiful lists to suit everyone on your list!
I know the theme here tends to be beauty on a budget, but every so often a little luxury doesn’t kill you. And this is a mega sale, so it’s only cheating a little.
I just about died when I saw these gorgeous plates, mugs and bowls designed by Klaus Haapaniemi on Gilt tonight. They are porcelain and have the most beautiful painted scenes of fairytale landscapes and wildlife in a Finnish style. I had some credit on my Gilt account and after a little scolding from my husband (only out of love) I took a set of the white mugs home.
Everything is roughly 50% off the normal retail price (a set of 4 mugs are normally $88, with a Gilt price of $46) and could certainly be pieces to last you a lifetime. I know every time I use these mugs I will smile, and that’s totally worth the price for me.
The sale only lasts until December 1st, but there is a lot still left. Don’t have a Gilt account? Use this link for a personal invitation.
Last year I did this and it was hugely successful. I decided to bring back my free gift this year in appreciation for all of my wonderful and happy customers!
From now until Christmas all purchases at Lost & Fawned or Lost & Fawned HOME will come with a free pair of my vintage Margaux Cubic Zirconia Marquise cut studs. These are the cutest little studs and I no longer sell them, for for the next month I will be giving them away! Happy shopping!
Disclaimer: Gift is available only while supplies last. I can only guarantee holiday delivery for domestic orders made before December 10th.
Well I woke up this morning with all intentions of doing free shipping. Instead, I feel very in the holiday spirit so AND etsy is now allowing me to use coupon codes (which I am dying to try). So…
25% off everything at both Lost & Fawned and Lost & Fawned HOME.
Use the coupon code 25FAWNS upon checkout to receive the discount.
Stop on by and get your holiday shopping started! Coupon code will be valid through Monday. Hope you all had a lovely (American) Thanksgiving! Now I’m off to take advantage of some holiday discounts myself.
I just need to share my love for this ring by Macha Jewelry. The Karis Ring in gold is one of those pieces that will stay on my wishlist for a very long time. Of course it could be a beautiful unconventional engagement ring, but would also make a lovely right hand ring for any girl.
I just about fell over when I ran across these chairs by Resign. They were designed by Italian designers Andrea Magnani & Giovanni Delvecchio and are called Di Corte. I adore the smooth, raw wood and the contrast of the natural bark. It reminds me a of dry tree in the woods when the bark starts to fall away and the smooth wood underneath is revealed. They are truly a work of art.
Photos courtesy of Andrea Piffari. Her work is gorgeous and is most certainly worth a look.
Thank you so much to everyone who entered the Leen Machine giveaway! So much amazing feedback for Paulene and I hope some of you found some wonderful new paper goods to the holidays.
I am happy to announce we do have a winner and it’s Briar, who loved the Elf Laundry cards. Briar has won a set of ten holiday cards of her choice. I will email you soon to confirm you prize. Congratulations!
Please check out Leen Machine if you are on the hunt for fun holiday cards for your thank you notes (wouldn’t these be perfect for your kids’ thank you notes?) or even a hostess gift. She has tons of beautiful holiday cards and lots of other gorgeous paper goods (like these gorgeous monogram note cards or this 2011 calender).
Today is the day! I’m sure some of you have already seen Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One, but I had to be a grown up last night and get some sleep since I am at work this morning (as much as I would have loved to go to a midnight showing). We have house showings on Saturday so we will be seeing the movie Sunday and hopefully avoiding some crowds.
To celebrate I figured I would post some wizarding world goodness from etsy. I adore these printed Owl Post kits from Celeste Frittata. It would make a perfect gift for your fellow Potter-Head.
Enjoy the movie everyone! <3
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I know for many readers this may be your first year hosting a Thanksgiving meal, or maybe you’re hosting a less traditional meal for friends who can’t be with their families for whatever reason (something we did in college for those of us stuck in the dorm). No matter what kind of dinner you’ll be hosting it’s a wonderful excuse to dress your kitchen table up.
If like me, you don’t have access to your grandparents’ “good china” and silver and don’t have time to put together a cornucopia for the table, there are plenty of contemporary table decor items out there to make you Thanksgiving warm and contemporary. Here are some of my picks.
Above: Paper Garland in Autumn Gold ($15.50) by 3 Girls + a Sandgoat
Sesame Letterpress Harvest Platters (SALE $15-31) & Wood-Slices Organic Bowls (SALE $28) from West Elm.
Set of 4 “different-matching” Linen Napkins (SALE $18) from Celina Mancurti
12 Natural Beeswax Votives ($12) from OneHoney